Kick off the holiday season with Glessner House Museum and AIA Chicago! Preheat the oven, whip up some royal icing, and make your own gingerbread house for the first annual Gingerbread Architecture Competition. The day-long event is co-sponsored by AIA Chicago and will also include children’s activities and tours of the mansion decorated for Christmas. Prizes will be awarded, and the two winning gingerbread entries will remain on display through December 31, 2016.
Schedule of Activities:
10:00am – 1:00pm: Children’s Gingerbread House Decorating Party
12:00 – 2:00pm: Gingerbread Architecture Competition delivery and setup
2:00 – 3:00pm: Judging
3:00pm: Awards and reception
5:00pm: Prairie District Neighborhood Alliance tree lighting in Chicago Women’s Park and Gardens
5:30 – 7:30pm: Free candlelight tours of Glessner House and Clarke House Museums
Wednesday, December 7 – Friday, December 9: Entries on display in coach house
First Annual Gingerbread Architecture Competition
Rules and Fine Print
· The competition is open to amateurs and professionals alike. Individual and team entries are permitted.
· Any structure, real or imaginary, is eligible for entry. Anything goes. Seriously.
· All entries must be attached to a sturdy base material. The overall entry, including base, must be no larger than 18” wide by 24” deep. Entries may not exceed 24” in height.
· All major components must be of gingerbread. Apart from the base, all decorations must be edible. Non-edible internal supports are permitted but must not be visible. Battery-powered internal lighting is permitted.
· Entries will be judged on Creativity, Workmanship, Difficulty, Materials, and Overall Appearance.
All completed entry forms must be received by Thursday, December 1, 2016
The two winning entries will be displayed in the museum’s Visitor Center through December 31, 2016. All other entries will remain on display in the museum’s Coach House during the neighborhood Winter Lights Festival (Saturday, 5:30 – 7:30 pm) and Glessner House Museum’s special holiday tours (Sunday, 12:00 – 7:30 pm). Following the competition and weekend display, entrants can either pick up their entries during normal museum hours by Friday, December 9, 2016; or allow Glessner House Museum to dispose of their entries.
$25 entry fee / $20 for Glessner House Museum and AIA Chicago members
*NOTE: Additional discount via Glessner House Museum membership coupon code not applicable. Please do not use coupon code on your membership card at checkout.*
All proceeds from the competition will help fund preservation and community activities of Glessner House Museum. Your support is greatly appreciated.