In 1882, Henry Hobson Richardson embarked on an extended trip to Europe with his good friend, Rev. Phillips Brooks, rector of Trinity Church in Boston, the design of which gave Richardson his national reputation. Richardson's itinerary through France, Italy, and Spain, and his impressions of what he saw, were preserved in a series of letters he sent home to his wife Julia in Brookline, Massachusetts.
Upon his return to the United States, Richardson set to work on a series of commissions that were deeply influenced by his European travels, and resulted in the emergence of his trademark style, that eventually became known as Richardsonian Romanesque. These included such seminal works as the Marshall Field Wholesale Store in Chicago, the Allegheny County Courthouse in Pittsburgh, his unbuilt project for the All Saints Episcopal Cathedral in Albany, New York, and Glessner House.
This program by Kay Young, a lecturer in medieval material culture, will retrace Richardson's steps through Europe and will show how the memory of what he saw directly influenced the projects he designed during the remaining four years of his life.
A partner program of the Chicago Architecture Biennial.
$10 per person / $8 members